Monday, January 16, 2012

The Open Question

Nathan Seidenberg
1/16/12
P. 3

The Open Question

Typically, I do not like the characters in Shakespeare’s plays. I cannot relate to them and they seem far too dramatic. Hamlet was different. I could see something in him that was different, I was genuinely interested. He had some bad qualities, he rambled and appeared dramatic, and he was even a murderer. What made me interested was no matter how insane Hamlet started to seem, I always felt like he had it together, like he knew what he was doing.

            Shakespeare has never interested me. Sure, I always respected what he did as an author, but his material just wasn’t for me. Hamlet was just the opposite. It was like William Shakespeare found a way to get in my head and whisper “Hamlet has it all under control.” It was like he was sending me subliminal messages. Shakespeare went from an author who I hated reading to one of my favorites just by the creation of Hamlet.

            Hamlet always seemed to be one step ahead. I liked the way he always came through when you thought he was done or he would get caught. He made it seem like he didn’t have it under control so once it was obvious that he did, it made it that much better. I turned into a fan of Hamlet. I wanted to see him prove people wrong and show that he was smarter than he appeared.

            Hamlet finally killed his step father and I felt like the Clippers had just won the championship. I was ecstatic and it felt like a win for me. Surprisingly, I wasn’t upset with Hamlet’s death. It was very predictable but I think that’s the only way it should have ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment